Rounds 7 and 8 2016 SBD Motorsport British Sprint Championship

Anglesey-18th and 19th June 2016

Good days...and bad

Organised by Midland Automobile Club

by Paul Parker

Two contrasting days of weather accompanied us for our first visit to Anglesey this year. Saturday was an excellent day weather-wise. That however was not accompanied similarly on Sunday when a grey start became wet and then wetter such that by 14.00 the day was brought to a close after an inspection by the Clerk of the Course and MSA Steward (fortunately after at least one timed run had been taken). Thoughts of (fortunately few) past wet events at Anglesey were in the minds of many on hearing that decision.

The Scots contingent were happy and smiling again on Saturday after their engine had received some tender loving care in the past fortnight and was, once again, back on full song again. Sadly the same could not be said of Tony Jarvis & Martin Webb as it was discovered their engine troubles had been caused by a valve seat coming adrift which had lead to a considerable amount of damage. Richard Arrowsmith had rejoined us after a holiday in the Isle of Man (but Terry Holmes had replaced him on the island for a friend’s wedding, and co-driver Graham Porrett had taken a weekend away with his daughter for father’s day, so both missed Anglesey their first event missed, other than for mechanical reasons for time immemorial).

The Sports Libre contingent were accompanied by a new visitor for the weekend, Paul Horrox not having been seen out for some considerable amount of time but managed to show it takes little time to shake the rust off. Paul topped the Sports Libre timed runs by just a few hundredths from Jim Belt and Matt Carter was just a further couple of tenths away.

In the combined 1100/1600 single seaters Grahame Harden and Carole Torkington were having a fair old battle, the pair little more than a second apart Richard Arrowsmith a little further away in third spot. Among the two litre single seater fraternity it was even more serious, all four members finishing the timed runs on the same second. Nick Algar and Steve Broughton just one hundredth apart with Matt Hillam a few tenths back and Steve Miles yet another few tenths away.

In the Gould GR55 dominated unlimited class a smiling Colin Calder finished top of the pile, a few tenths away from John Graham who was looking for a favour. On his second timed run he unfortunately lit up his rears which lead to contact with the Armco with his nose, damaging his front wing, he ran with the Calder spare front wing which was fitted before the run off. Heather Calder was taking her customary relaxed timed runs in third spot.

Top 12 Run Off

Matt Carter had a most unfortunate incident, on his first run off run, exiting the pit straight he ran a little wide, spun on the grass and backed it into the opposite bank, leading to no time being recorded and some overnight repair work aided by friends. Richard Arrowsmith found over three seconds on his run off times, over his timed run times (perhaps not getting up so early on race days is the answer?) Carole Torkington found over a second in perhaps one of her most successful weekends in a while? Grahame Harden found a second and a half to slip into 9th spot. Jim Belt was again battling against the category record but finished a few tenths shy. Nick Algar seemed not to be quite “on it” for him during the run off only managing seventh spot. Sharing fifth spot was Steve Broughton and Steve Miles the SBD boss taking the position based on first run times. Matt Hillam was, like Belt, having his own battle with the 2 litre racing car record finishing just under a second shy. In third spot, understandably taking things relatively easy, was John Graham and then came the Calders who finished just over a quarter of a second part, but this event concluded with Heather in top place, father Colin unable to match her time.


On Sunday weather conditions were not looking that optimistic, although generally slicks continued as fairly standard wear with the odd set of intermediates making a showing. One or two sets of wets were being readied (some looking remarkably new and unused, owners being less than fully pleased by the abandonment of the day). Timed run times showed deterioration against second practice run times, and indeed the later runners suffering more so than early ones.

Many perhaps not considering a single timed run result a significant likelihood. Nick Algar having the unfortunate experience of a spin just before the finish line, so failed to record a time. Jim Belt, running earlier, finished with a time good enough for 5th spot to top the Sports Libre group, the repaired Matt Carter not quite doing enough to overcome Paul Horrox.

In the 1100/1600 racing car split Carole Torkington finished top of the pile, chased home by Graeme Harden and Richard Arrowsmith. Among the two litres Steve Miles got out early and was rewarded with 4th spot, only three quarters of a second away from Heather Calder. Matt Hillam was next up some distance away and Steve Broughton a further distance back in 3rd spot. In the unlimited class Colin Calder came out on top, John Graham a couple of seconds or so back and a disappointed third was Saturday’s winner Heather Calder.

Results - Saturday

1.Heather Calder (3.5 Gould-NME GR55)73.62s 2.Colin Calder (3.5 Gould-NME GR55) 73.90s 3.John Graham (2.8 Gould-NME GR55B)76.16s 4. Matt Hillam (2.0 SBD Dallara F3)77.76s 5.Steve Broughton (2.0 SBD Dallara F3)78.68s 6.Steve Miles (2.0 Van Diemen RF96)78.68s 7. Nick Algar (1.3s DJ Firehawk)79.24s 8. Jim Belt (3.0 Juno TR400) 83.78s 9. Grahame Harden (1.1 Jedi Mk 6)85.28s 10. Carole Torkington (1.6 OMS CF08)87.04s 11. Richard Arrowsmith (1.0 Force PC) 88.80s DNF Matt Carter (1.4 Radical PR6)

Results – Sunday

1.Colin Calder 115.23s 2.Graham 117.58s 3.Heather Calder 118.22s 4. Miles 118.96s 5. Belt 120.55s 6. Hillam 123.28s 7. Carter 126.27s 8. Torkington 126.53s 9. Harden 127.35s 10. Broughton 128.02s 11. Arrowsmith 129.25s 12. Metcalfe 139.33s