Round 5 2013 SBD Motorsport British Sprint Championship

Pembrey-1st June 2013

Record breaking Calder

Organised by BARC (Wales)

by Paul Parker

The weather was quite beautiful as I travelled to the land of my fathers (my father was born and bred in Swansea!) We were joined, looking for her first competitive outing for a year, by Heather Calder who had attained the grand old age of 23 the previous week. She was champing at the bit at the prospect of returning to her favourite sport which she had been missing....greatly! Also embarking on his first British Sprint outing of the year was Chris Bennett, who had one shared and another sole driven car with him in the FF1600s for company, Chris was immediately, and comfortably at the head of that pack! Returnee to the Championship after almost 10 years absence was Dave Cutcliffe his Van Diemen now sporting a "blown" Hayabusa engine, sadly some development will be required to enable him to become as competitive as he once was.

Sadly we lost Jim Belt at the start of the timed runs when his engine let go. Uncomfortably limping throughout much of the weekend was Richard Arrowsmith (he visited his A & E on Monday to discover he had a broken leg!) Another casualty during the timed runs was Stewart Robb. He was the victim of a moment at the very quick Woodlands kink on the back straight. As is his usual way, not being totally confident of the damage cause he felt it wise to pack the car on to the trailer and return home to investigate, with another weekend's events only a week away. Question marks about track conditions impacted upon times achieved, track temperature playing some part in this, and much energetic work was being conducted on tyres over much of the weekend.

Continuing his track learning process in his Primera at another new venue was Colin Metcalfe, who got quicker and quicker as the weekend progressed. Holding the flag, in Jim Belt's absence, for the Sports Libre fraternity was Kurt Ramsden continuing the learning process of his new mount. He finished well clear of the mixed variety of other Sports Libre cars at the event. In the 1100s Grahame Harden was again top of the tree, with Martin Pickles in close attendance. In the 1600s Gary Thomas qualified and was joined by Glyn Sketchley in the Run Off, after Stewart Robb's departure. Bill Gouldthorpe was not far away either. Amongst the 2000s it was the Mark Smith/Craig Sampson partnership who were top of the tree, with both Steve Miles and Steve Broughton is fairly close attendance. Phil Lynch too qualified for the Run Off, but is now being hounded by the Martin Webb/ Tony Jarvis Dallara mounted partnership in only their second weekend in their new acquisition. Amongst the unlimited racing cars Colin Calder was flying, with daughter Heather and Terry Holmes very closely matched all day. Terry Graves was enjoying his long overdue new tyres! He and Graham Porrett were fairly closely matched in the timed runs. Mike Musson's performance was "puzzling" being away from his customary pace on Saturday and John Graham was starting his leaning process in his newly acquired Gould GR37 Judd.

Run Off

During the first runs Steve Miles got not quite to Dibeni before it was discovered he had more loose wheels than tight ones! He then ran back to assembly, borrowed a bike to return to his trailer to get a spanner, then back to assembly where the Rescue Unit took him back to perform tightening duties and then was towed back to assembly, suspect that's not the last he'll be allowed to hear of that little practice? Both 1600s undertook just the one run each Glyn Sketchley put a time in to get a point, and Gary Thomas, with overheating issues, did so too to capture a couple more. Phil Lynch finished between them with his first run time but wasn't able to improve. Steve Miles was relatively conservative on the one run he completed to jump ahead of Gary Thomas, Steve Broughton found a few seconds, over his qualifying time, on his first attempt, but wasn't able to find any more. Graham Porrett & Terry Graves continued their personal battle in the Run Off but this time the former had clearly benefitted from a good talking to from wife Joyce improving during both Run Off runs to finish clear of the Cornishman. Craig Sampson found over three seconds on his "banker", compared with his best timed run, and another third of a second to finish off with to conclude just a couple of seconds away from his co-driver Mark Smith. Smith too found over a couple of seconds on his first attempt but failed to improve. In the top 3 Heather Calder was away first and found a second and a half, Terry Holmes however found a couple, Heather had another bash and discovered almost another three quarters of a second but still lay a tenth and a half shy of the Chichester man, who decided enough was enough for one day, Colin Calder improved his best timed run by a couple of seconds on run one and then another 7/10ths were found to conclude with two bonus points, being below the record mark on both runs.


1. Colin Calder (3.5 Gould GR55-NME) 86.68 2. Terry Holmes (3.5 Lola Judd) 91.45 3. Heather Calder (3.5 Gould GR55-NME) 91.59 4. Mark Smith (2.0 Reynard - DB Mk1- SBD Duratec) 92.75 5. Craig Sampson (2.0 Reynard - DB Mk1- SBD Duratec) 94.98 6. Graham Porrett (3.5 Lola Judd) 95.75 7. Terry Graves (3.5 Gould GR37 - DFR) 97.50 8. Steve Broughton (2.0 OMS 28- SBD Duratec) 97.69 9. Steve Miles (2.0 Van Diemen RF96 - SBD Duratec) 98.33 10. Gary Thomas (1.4 Force PC) 98.34 11. Phil Lynch (2.0 Dallara F301) 98.98 12. Glyn Sketchley (1.5 Force PT) 99.40